Octagon Point premises offer opportunities and scope for further growth
Matheson LLP is pleased to announce that it has continued to expand its presence in London, with the opening of new, larger offices in central London.
Located on the 7th floor of the Octagon Point building beside St Paul’s Cathedral and not far from Matheson’s previous Love Lane address, the new offices comprise a mixture of two- and four-person offices, quiet spaces, an internal meeting room and a large open-plan shared seating area. The layout also maximises the light and the excellent views of some of London’s best known landmarks.
At 2,600 sq ft, the new facilities are over one and a half times the size of Matheson’s previous premises, and also include access to a separate client meeting space of similar size. They are now home to the head of Matheson’s London office, Sharon Daly, and her growing team of partners, senior associates, solicitors and trainees, and will enable the 15-strong team to combine working from home and from the office, as part of Matheson’s hybrid model of working.
Matheson Managing Partner, Michael Jackson, said, “These new premises will greatly improve the office experience for our London-based colleagues, for clients and for visitors to London from other Matheson offices. This latest investment by Matheson in London comes on the back of significant growth in our London team over the past twelve months, with new senior resources being added to already strong representation across our Commercial Litigation; Corporate M&A; Finance and Capital Markets; Technology and Innovation; and Tax teams.”
“We are continuing to actively recruit in the London market, and the additional space we have taken in Octagon Point reflects our desire to continue to grow our London presence.”
This month, Mergermarket and Refinitiv both separately named Matheson as the number one Irish law firm for Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) by deal volume for 2022, and the firm has more corporate M&A lawyers ranked by Chambers & Partners than any other Irish law firm. The firm’s Corporate M&A team consistently advises on the most high-profile, complex and high value transactions in domestic and international markets.
- Matheson LLP (“Matheson“) is an Irish law firm. Its primary focus is on serving the Irish legal needs of internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland.
- Matheson’s clients include the majority of the Fortune 100 companies and it advises 7 of the top 10 global technology brands, 7 of the world’s 10 largest asset managers, and over half of the world’s 50 largest banks.
- Matheson is headquartered in Dublin and also has offices in Cork, London, New York, San Francisco and Palo Alto. The firm employs 775 people across its six offices, including 105 partners and tax principals, and 530 legal, tax and digital services professionals.
- In October 2022, Matheson was named Ireland’s Top Law Firm in the Sunday Independent Best Law Firms 2023 Survey.
- Also in October 2022, Matheson was ranked separately by two leading publications – Mergermarket and Refinitiv – as the number one Irish law firm for M&A by deal volume for 2022, and it was confirmed that the firm has more lawyers ranked by Chambers & Partners in its latest rankings than any other Irish law firm.
- For the second year in a row, in February 2022 Matheson was named Ireland’s largest law firm by the Law Society of Ireland, following the annual publication of practicing solicitor numbers in Ireland.
- Matheson was named Ireland Law Firm of the Year at the Chambers Europe Awards 2021.
- In 2021, Matheson underlined its commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion by becoming a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (GEDI) Charter. Signatories to the GEDI Charter commit to treating all individuals and groups of individuals fairly and equally.
- Matheson was named Diversity and Inclusion Law Firm of the Year at the Irish Law Awards 2021. In June 2022, the firm’s female / male partner gender ratio was ranked the third most gender-diverse in Europe, and first in Ireland, by The Lawyer in its European 100 report 2022.
- In 2019, Matheson became the first organisation in Ireland to receive the Investors in Diversity Gold Standard Award from the Irish Centre for Diversity in recognition of the firm’s development and implementation of a series of people-focussed D&I initiatives. In March 2022, Matheson succeeded in retaining the Gold Standard. No other law firm in Ireland has been awarded it, and no other organisation in Ireland, of any type, has retained it.
- In 2021 Matheson became one of the first Irish law firms to establish a dedicated cross-sectoral and partner-led Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Advisory Group which assists companies in navigating and responding to the rapidly evolving ESG landscape. Matheson clients have access to an online ESG resource hub of knowledge and insights.
- In 2020, Matheson became the first Irish-headquartered law firm to sign up to the Mindful Business Charter, a collaboration between financial services businesses and law firms in Ireland and the UK promoting healthy and effective ways of working. In 2021, Matheson became a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Professional Wellbeing Charter, which champions behaviours, skills and practices to promote and enable professional wellbeing in the workplace.